- open archive sessions
- every Friday afternoon from 7th October 2016 : 2-4pm
- field surveying workshop / talk
- sometime in December
Oban Family history group : Rockfield centre, Oban - 7.30 pm
- inaugural meeting
- October 27 2016
- beginners genealogy workshop
- November 30 2016
- Obans Founding Fathers - researching the Stevensons
Appin Historical Society Winter talks 2016 - 2017
PROGRAMME 2016-2017 (| full details on their website )
- 17 September 2016
- Lismore, the Forgotten Cathedral of Scotland: Douglas Breingan
- 15 October 2016
- Slate Quarrying: The Hon. Michael Shaw
- 19 November 2016
- A School Trip to Rajasthan: Anna Whitelaw
- 10 December 2016
- Display of model and pictures of Kinlochleven PoW camp; Annual General Meeting and Pre-Christmas get-together with drinks and nibbles.
- 21 January 2017
- The History of Dyeing: Liz Gaffney-Whaite
- 18 February 2017
- Scottish Marine Wildlife from Birds to Basking Sharks: Sarah Brown
- 18 March 2017
- Building the National Library of Scotland's Modern Collections: Jennifer Giles
- 29 April 2017
- Madam Scrap/Madam Scotia: Helene Witcher
Lorn Archaeological and Historical Society
LAHS Winter Programme 2016– 2017
Talks take place at 7.30pm in St Columba's Cathedral Hall, usually on the third Friday of the month, but this occasionally varies to suit visiting speakers. Visitors are most welcome and the entrance fee for non members is £3.00
- Fri 21st October
- Catherine Gilles - John of Argyll, after Brander
- Fri 18th November
- AGM. Your chance to have your say about the Society + a selection of Bob Mccullochs slides of Old Oban (at 7:30 in the Roman Catholic Cathedral hall)
- Fri 9th December
- Linda Fryer - 'Mary and Iain Ciar: MacDougall of Dunollie's Jacobite couple''
- Fri 20th January 2017
- Jennie Robertson - 'Clearance Villages in Morvern: Recent Archaeological Surveys'
- Fri 17th February
- Alison Sheridan ‘Early farmers in the West of Scotland, 4000-1500 BC’
- Fri 17th March
- Richard Blair - 'George Orwell'
- Fri 21st April
- Lorn Macintyre - 'The Campbell of Dunstaffnage'.
Dalmally Historical Society
- Dates and topics to be advised
National Trust of Scotland http://www.ntscentres.org.uk/argyll.html
Saturday 26 November 2016 , 11.30am for 12noon Booking required as lunch is provided after the talk. £10 per talk.
A talk by Ian Riches (NTS Archivist) at St Columba’s Cathedral Church Hall, Oban.
11th February Brochs and the Roman Empire - Euan Mackie Neill Malcolm 01631 740323
11th March Slate Industry in Argyll tbc Booking: Isobelle Smith 01852 300287
22nd April AGM (Venue: Loch Nell Hotel, North Connel) Arrive 11.30 for AGM. Cost £15.00 World War One Commemorative Activities Booking: Mike Hawke 01631562734
6th May Day Coach Trip to New Lanark Details to be confirmed Booking: Mike Hawke 01631 562734
26-29th June Holiday Away Trip to Angus and Fife Details to be confirmed Booking: Neill Malcolm o1631 740323
Meetings are held in the hall at the back of the RC Cathedral in Oban.
Cost £10 includes sandwich lunch. Arrive 11.30 for talk at 12.00 followed by lunch.
Please book by the preceding Wednesday.