The area between the main road at Benderloch, and the Tralee Bay Holidays, is known as Keil Crofts.
These crofts were established in ???? and were part of Lochnell estate.
We have a map of the crofts at the time of the sale in 1945.
The place-name Keil is frequently, although not always, an anglicisation of the Gaelic cille, meaning a monk’s cell and referring to an important early church site. The probable site is at Cill Choluim-chille at Ledaig, where the Ordnance Survey recorded in 1871 and again in 1971 that the bases of the southern and western walls were visible (NGR NM 90453771). Apart from a few tombstones little now survives on the surface, although burials were discovered in 1952 during excavations for a new water main.1
At Keil crofts, centred on NGR NM 902 390, the RCAHMS recorded “two unroofed buildings, two partially roofed buildings, one of which is a long building, and seventeen roofed buildings, one of which is a long building , are shown on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire 1875, sheet lxxiii)”.2
According to this map (see Fig 3 below), the crofts occupy the site of the Sraid Mine. The name was applied by the Ordnance Survey in its Name Book of 1871 to a supposed street forming a major artery of the Pictish city of Beregonium, centred on NGR NM 9035 3810