Craigneuk

Craigneuk is at the southern end of Benderloch
and was, before the railway and the establishment of the modern village, a very separate settlement.

This was on the site of a previous prehistory site - Dun Bhaile an righ (Dunvalanree)
Translated as the fort of the king's town; at the foot of this an urn was found.1

Some of the ancient folklore of Beregonium suggests that THIS was in fact the first city site.. and Bishop Richard Pococke mentions the name comes from Cromwell's soldiers ?? .. not yet found the origins of this idea.

This rock is called Dun Vallin Re (the Hill of the King's town) and by the Cromwelian soldiers Craig Nuke, and this is the entrance, so that the ancient city rock seems to have been called Vallin or Ballin Re (the City of the King).

Also at the foot of this natural rock outcrop is a St Columba's cell - Columcille church and graveyard. This burial ground is very ancient, and used extensively over centuries. The Columba site is likely to be one previously much used, it is a natural meeting place - "The burial-ground, too, must have been very large, as bones were taken up when cutting the road past the smithy. The burial ground extended to the rocks that form the shore. The old or Celtic burials were made near the spot, as the urn Mr Campbell found in the cave in his garden proves. A cairn with many urns was disturbed when making the road into the schoolhouse.2
1871 Scotlandsplaces

CILL CHOLUIM-CHILLE (Ruin)
Kilcolm Kill (Ruin)
Cill Choluim-cille or "Cill Cholum-Chille"
Statistical Account, Old
Mr. Campbell
Mr. Beaton
Appd. [Applied] 087 The base of two of the walls of this Church (i.e. the Western and Southern.) can only now be observed. It is situated beside the above Croft, and has a Burial ground still in use, but during the period that worship was conducted in the Ch [Church] the grave yard is said to have extended over the road and also comprised what is now the garden.
"At the west end of the parish, about a mile from Connell Ferry, are vestiges of the small Church of Kilcomlkill or Gilchallumkill now Kill with a Cemetry which is still in use." Ext. [Extract] "Origines Parochiales"
Sig: [Signification] "The Church dedicated to Columba"
Old Statisl. Act. [Statistical Account]
https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/ordnance-survey-name-books/argyll-os-name-books-1868-1878/argyll-volume-01/62

It is an area that has been important to Man for millenia - with prehistoric finds in the cave, and with a Cille Cholium Cill just behind the Smithy.
A St Columba's cell is a place of reverence, and this was continued by the siting of a cemetery beside the Smithy.
The Blacksmith plied his trade in the Smithy for many decades, being recorded in the 1851 census, and still one in residence when his daughter was married from Craigneuk in 1926.

CRAIGNEUK
Craignook
Neil McLucas Tenant
Mr. Campbell, P.O. [Post Office] Ledaig
New Statistical Account
A small croft on the East side of the main road about half a mile from "New Selma" composed of 3 houses
one of which is a smithy.
This name is considered to be derived from the name of the Craig. near it.
https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/ordnance-survey-name-books/argyll-os-name-books-1868-1878/argyll-volume-01/62

Benderloch_The_Smithy_postcard_ebay~0.JPG
image.gif?id=165000318904
Craigneuk is no longer a family house, but you can come and stay there if you are visiting. http://www.cottages-and-castles.co.uk/self-catering/craigneuk-949/
craigneuk-oban-argyll-exterior-01.jpg?itok=1GK_X08x
more photographs of the graveyard are here http://kintaline.co.uk/images/displayimage.php?album=25
and here from Geograph http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1419108
© Copyright Walter Baxter and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1419108_d8744bdf.jpg]Title: THE DUN, BENDERLOCH
Artist: Adam Bruce Thomson (Scottish, 1885–1976) Medium: oil on canvas
adam-bruce-thomson-the-dun,-benderloch.jpg125576.jpg
Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License