Bonawe

Bonawe lies at the side of Loch Etive, just as the loch turns sharply northwards, creating a narrowing of the water. Settlements grew up either side which were initially all Bonawe, then became Bonawe and Taynuilt, joined until the middle of the 1900's with ferries and many local boats.

This was a significant location for salmon fishing ..
It became a very significant settlement with the development of the quarry, about which we have much to learn.

Bonawe Quarry
Bonawe Ferry
Bonawe was the original post office for the area - there are many letters that pop up on Ebay with the Bunaw seal from the 1700 / 1800's.
1842 - John Cameron Post master, according to letter on ebay from D MacIntyre, dancing professor ! it is possible this is the same man who was Transported Van Dieman's Land after a trial in Inveraray

The Quarry brought more and more men and their families into the area, the census records showing how the population grew, as the tenements were built.

vol1page200.jpg
https://www.electricscotland.com/history/gazetteer/vol1page200.htmBonawe_Quarry%2C_Loch_Etive%2C_Argyll%2C_c.1934%2C_charcoal%2C_pen__ink%2C_34_x_40_cms.jpg
drawing of Bonawe in the 1930's
Adam Bruce Thomson Bonawe Quarry, Loch Etive, Argyll, c.1934
charcoal, pen & inkH:34cm W:40cm
https://scottish-gallery.co.uk/exhibitions/untroubled-certainty
Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License