We are creating the skeleton of this wiki for the community, near and far, to work together to develop an encyclopedia of the natural and social history of Ardchattan.
Please bear with us as we develop this site, and please join in to contribute any images, information, or questions you have on any location or topic.
Forestry Journal 1958 page 11 - http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/FCJO027.pdf/$FILE/FCJO027.pdf
Glen Etive and Barrs
By D. GRAHAM -CAMPBELL, District Officer, Scottish Directorate
The Estate of Glenetive and Barrs, part of which was acquired in October 1957, was under the management of the Department of Agriculture. It was formerly owned by Colonel Anderson who had gifted it to the Secretary of State on condition that it was used as an experimental hill farm. The D epartment of Agriculture had found that the shepherding of the Barrs section of the estate was difficult to manage, and they decided to ask Col. Anderson whether he would agree to part of the estate being used for forestry purposes. Colonel Anderson approved of this suggestion and 2,239 acres of plantable land have now been placed at the disposal of the Forestry Commissioners, with the possibility of more to come. It has now been provisionally agreed the remainder of Glen Etive Estate including 2,000 acres of plantable land will pass to the Commission. (Plate 6, Central Inset.)
Loch Etive Forest, situated on the north shore of the loch within the proposed National Park area, must be one of the m ost isolated properties in Britain. The nearest village is in Glen Coe which is 20 miles away by road, and a launch from Etive Pier runs to Taynuilt three times a week. On the shore of the loch there remain some oak and birch woods, probably at one time exploited for smelting iron, and the Commission has undertaken to preserve these as far as possible.
This estate provides a further example of land coming to the Commission because of isolation and shepherding difficulties.