Barcaldine House

Formally known as Dalfuir

Barcaldine House [NM 965414] and formerly known as Dalfuir, dates from 1724, and is a large rambling and haphazard mansion of several periods and styles, extended down the years, and was built some distance away (hence the village of Barcaldine is not near the castle). Much of the estate was sold to the Forestry Commission in the 1920s, and the house was derelict in the 1950s, but was restored in the 1980s. The walled garden houses a caravan park.1

Repository code 234
Repository National Records of Scotland
Reference GD112
Title Papers of the Campbell Family, Earls of Breadalbane (Breadalbane Muniments)
Dates 1306-20th century
Access status Open
GD112/22. Inventories of furniture, 1595-1886
Lists of furniture at Edinample; Finlarig; Balloch; Kilchurn; Achallader; Glenorchy; Barcaldine; Edinburgh; Shian; Thurso East; Holyroodhouse; Taymouth; Meikleour; Foley House, Cavendish Square, London; 21 Park Lane, London; Auchlyne; Langton; Bolfracks factor's office.

The land, including the Mansion House (the oldest portion of which dates from about 1710) and the Policies, were purchased by the Forestry Commission in 1924. The
House and Policies, and most of the unplantable hill land, were subsequently re-sold.
2

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License