Ardchattan Priory
The charters of the Priory of Beauly, with notices of the priories of Pluscardine and Ardchattan and of the family of the founder, John Byset (1877) - book on :

The Priory was founded in 1230 for an Order of Benedictine Monks.
In 1558 John Campbell became Prior of Ardchattan, he was succeeded by his son Alexander in 1580, but during these troubled years of religious dissension the number of monks dwindled and the Priory become a private dwelling house.
In the 17th century the Campbells of Ardchattan and of Lochnell built private burial aisles for their families outside the south and north walls of the choir respectively.
In 1602 Alexander Campbell received the charter for the land. Some very old trees date from this time and the age of some of the trees which had to be cut down recently was confirmed as over 400 years.
In 1654, as a reprisal for the then Laird of Ardchattan supporting the Earl of Glencairn's rising against Cromwell, Cromwellian troops burnt down the church leaving the Abbott's lodgings.1
In the 1700's a new church Baile Mhaodain was built to the east using stone from Ardchattan which finally marked the end of worship at the Priory, although the parish used the ruined chapel as a burial ground until 1906.

Burial of John Carswell
The funeral of John Carswell, the Bishop of the Isles who was instrumental for the Reformation in the Highlands, is yet another fascinating example of an unexpected burial. Gillies notes: “After his censure by the Assembly, Carswell withdrew from Court and retired to Carnasarie, where he died in the year 1572. He was buried, by his own desire, at the Priory of Ardchattan. The leaden coffin lies below the floor of the kitchen of the present mansion - house, which was, with a spirit of desecration hard to excuse, built over a part of the old graveyard. Such was the weight of the coffin, the violence of the storm which prevailed on the funeral day, and the consequent hardships endured by the mourners, that a saying is still current when any extraordinary event happens, „Cha d 'thainig a leithid bho latha adhlaic a Charsalaich‟ („There has not been the like since
Carswell's funeral day‟).” P. H. Gillies, Netherlorn, Argyllshire, and its Neighbourhood. (London: Virtue & Co., 1909), pp. 152-153.

We are creating the skeleton of this wiki for the community, near and far, to work together to develop an encyclopedia of the natural, family and social history of Ardchattan.
Please bear with us as we develop this site, and please join in to contribute any images, information, or questions you have on any location or topic. Email images / records / documents to ku.gro.nattahcdra|evihcra#ku.gro.nattahcdra|evihcra

you can add questions and information for this page here

Add a New Comment
Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License